Sunday, June 17, 2007

The NITIE experience .. .. like I said ... A story on its own...

So I had been called by NITIE (National Institute of Industrial Engineering), Mumbai based on my CAT score... It was one of the best b-schools in India. My original GD/PI date was the 14th of march but I was unable to make it that day because of "personal reasons" and so I got it shifted to the 16th. Me and my dad reached Mumbai on the 15th and instantly I hated the traffic. We walked a long distance looking for a place to stay and all the places with a decent rate were garbage dumps and the ones worth staying in cost a fortune. So after a few gruelling hours of walking in the bloody heat, we decided to look for lodging near the institute itself and so we went to Vihar Lake, Powai. After another few hours of searching, we finally found a place where we could stay in and rented a room there.

My father and I sat and watched Sri Lanka walking all over Bermuda in the world cup and then had some awful food for dinner and then had a nice sleep.

I woke up early in the mornin and got suited up to go for the interview. And to my horror, we discovered that there wasn't a single place nearby where I could have a decent breakfast. So I went to NITIE starving. Since I was a "rescheduled" candidate, I had no idea which panel I was in (not like it would have made much of a difference if I knew which panel I was in). Everyone slotted for that day was supposed to arrive in the morning and we all did. We all were made to wait in the auditorium and they had a couple of presentations about the institute and the courses. After that we had a short recess so that we could have breakfast from the college and I had a small tiny sandwich. After that began the never ending wait! We had to sit and watch crappy sitcoms (How I met your mother! ) all day. I waited there from 8 till around 12 and finally my name was called. I was all excited expecting to go right for my interview .... but no!!

We were told to get our certificates verified and then wait. I waited will 12:45 and then we were told that it was a lunch break and we were expected to be back here by 1:45. So we did that. And then the wait again continued till 3:30. I was dead tired and drained of all energy by then. Finally they called me for my GD and I went and performed extremely badly :D.
The interview was supposed to happen sometime after that but we had no idea when. There were loads of people waiting outside the interview room for my panel and so I asked the volunteer in charge when my interview could be expected to happen. 1 bloody hour later was what he said! Another long wait in the auditorium. I was tired and hungry by then. Finally around 5:15 I was called in for the interview and gave another crappy performance there :D. I was asked a lot of tech questions which I couldnt answer but managed the HR side of the interview quite nicely. (But at the end of it all I dint make it. I guess it was a combination of the bad GD and bad Tech section which did me in :D)

It was pretty late by the time the interview got over and I had a flight for 8pm and had to get to the airport soon. What followed was the worst auto rickshaw ride of my entire life. I was still suited up since I dint get time to change , and me being the idiot I am, dint bother removing the coat before getting into the auto. It was bloody hot and stuff and the traffic was a complete nightmare. We were boxed in by buses and lorries. It was so bloody suffocating. And then my stomach started acting up. It started aching and I felt like I was gonna puke any second. Finally we reached the airport but we reached way too early. It was just around 6:30. And I needed to drink something. I had 2 mirindas in the hope of filling my empty stomach. I couldn't manage to eat anything cos the puking tendency was overwhelming me. So then we went into the airport and got our boarding passes. And since we were going to be waiting for a while, I figured I should go to the toilet and try doing you know what. And after around 15 minutes crapping like a madman, I was about to leave the rest room when I started pukin. And that took another 5 minutes. And at the end of it, honestly, I was relieved. And so I went to the cafe coffee day outlet to get rid of that weird puke taste in my mouth. Unfortunately, I tried being a miser and opted for the cheapest drink out there ... which unfortunately was an espresso. And for anybody who hasn't had one, its 1 cup of coffee concentrated to 1/10th of a cup. And I drank it like you drink tonic. And then again came a long wait. BECAUSE THE BLOODY FLIGHT WAS DELAYED BY AN HOUR!!

I was sitting half asleep in the waiting lounge. I bought a bottle of mineral water and had one small tiny sip. Around 8:30, the boarding was about to commence and every one started forming a queue at the gate. Which was when my next puke attack came. To my right and in the distance was the ladies toilet. So I concluded logically that the gents toilet must be next to it. And so I ran towards it.But to my horror, the gents toilet was no where in sight. And by now puke was filling up my mouth (and in those few seconds of grossness, I was able to figure out that it was just the espresso and the water that was being thrown out.. gross .. I know!! ). The nearest option I had was the handicapped people's toilet and I made a dash for it ... in vain! I ended up barfing all over the entrance and everything was over by the time I made it inside. (The cleaning lady gave me hell over that! Yea right! As though I puked on purpose!).

So after a change of clothes, I finally boarded the plane. Since my stomach was empty, there was no way I could puke anymore. And I sat there for the 1.5 hours duration of the flight trying not to puke and I succeeded. And I was in Bangalore at last. I just wanted to get to my sister's place. Everything would be ok once I reached there. And so we boarded the little bus that took us from the airplane to the airport terminal. Well, unfortunately I had a tiny little sip of water during the flight. And the bus ride was not very smooth. Yup! You guessed it right!! I completed my hatrick! I puked on the runway! Luckily I was at the window seat!

And so the ordeal ended there. I got home and managed not to puke anymore. And on that happy note, I will say that this may be my last post for a while. I dont know how much free time I will get at IIM. Hopefully will get some :D. Till then .. goodbye... get your friends to read this and get them to comment :D

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

first of all , congratulations on gettin in to a very very elite group of "pukers on airport runway" :P (dont even knw if anybody else cld manage such a thing :P )

anyway abt the NITIE thing , i can safely say tht it sure wasnt 'ur day' :P :P

anyway, even if u had fallen into a pile of crap and had to crawl all over it to get out its still worth it coz..... u got into iima u @$$ !!! :P :P :P

Abhi said...

Now that's one helluva story mate! Hear such things in stories and see such things in tee movies ONLY! Glad to hear that one of my best buddies had all of this and that too in a single day!

But then you made a lot of other headlines and god bless u for all that!

Veda said...

woah roh! the entire story seemed shorter when u narrated it to me thru the fone...but gross eitherways!![:p]

take care huge guy...see ya soon!

gasmutai said...

Hey.. great piece.. tell me one thing though.. this had me worrying just a teeny weeny bit.. so thought of clarifying it :-D
the bus that took u frm the plane to the terminal, ib Blore- wasnt that an AC bus?